Sunday, August 03, 2008

The "I've peaked, and I'm kidding myself" Party

My 10th high school reunion was last night. WHEW!

The planning nearly killed me at times, but last night ended up going really well. We had well over 100 people there, and I think they all had a great time. We had a money shortage, but everyone was AWESOME about throwing cash into the donation basket to help out. We’re still about $150 short, but that’s WAY better than $600.

This was my first reunion, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I feel like I have changed so much since high school, so I guess I assumed a lot of other people would have too. I was so wrong! From what I could tell, everyone is still basically the same. The jerks were jerks. The nerds were nerds. The pretty girls were still pretty…prettier actually. (Am I really the only one who has gained wait since high school??? SERIOUSLY!)

I actually found that I didn’t really fit in with many people anymore. A couple of my band friends were there, and they are good friends I have kept in touch with over the years. Other than those folks, I had a hard time feeling like I was connecting with anyone. People were really nice, appreciative for the planning I had done, and they feigned the expected interest in my life (Married? Kids? Job?). We reminisced about high school (middle school even!), laughed about the stupid things we had seen each other do, etc. I still felt like a stranger. It was weird.

It has been ten years…ten long, life-changing, interesting years.

(Fun blog connection: my classmate’s wife came up to me last night to let me know she reads my blog and even asked about how Buster was doing! Isn’t that funny? If you’re still reading, Melissa: It was great to meet you last night!)

2 comments:

Karen said...

Glad it all seemed to come together for you :) Still haven't decided if I'll go to my 10th reunion...if we even have one!

Shanna said...

I seem to remember a college friend going to your school -maybe- Natasha Brewer? She would have graduated in 1995. She also had a brother named Ty.
I know, it is a big world, but not that big!

Thanks for the comment!