Thursday, September 25, 2008

Itinerant...

Hi internets...

How many ways can I apologize for the hiatus I have been on? Here I took so much time and care in writing the 100 Things about myself, and then I left you high and dry. While I am eternally sorry for leaving you hanging for so long, I am finding it hard to believe that anyone is even still waiting around to hear from me again. If anyone is actually out there reading this, I am sorry. I owe you a steak dinner (or at least some fish sticks and shells & cheese).

To get a better understanding of where I have been the past few weeks, I think it's best for me to post an e-mail announcement that was sent to my friends and family. It's the same news, and I don't really want to re-type it anyway.

Here you go...

Hello friends and family,

As some of you know, Matt is an elder in the United Methodist Church. In the UMC, pastors are appointed to their churches by the bishop and a group of district superintendents who make up the bishop's cabinet. Elders make vows when they are ordained and commissioned to be fully itinerant - meaning they travel from place to place. Back in the beginning of Methodism, pastors would travel from church to church (usually on horseback) to minister to congregations far and wide. Thankfully, the days of "circuit riders" are long gone, but we are still bound by our vows to be itinerant, and to go where God and the bishop lead.

Now is when we see those vows in action. The bishop and cabinet (and most of all, GOD) have appointed Matt to a new church, and we will be moved to this new appointment by November 1st.

Matt will be the senior pastor of two small, country churches in the western part of the state: Veedersburg UMC and Hillsboro UMC. A parsonage is provided for us, and the house will be in Veedersburg. Veedersburg is a small town (about 2200 people) one mile south of I-74 on SR 41. (We will be about 1 hour and 15 minutes from Mom and Dad's house on the south side of Indy.) We are sad about leaving our current appointment, but we both are feeling a strong sense of God's peace in this. We both know without a doubt that this is where we are supposed to go.

We met with the leadership at both churches on Monday, and we were able to tour the parsonage as well. It is a bigger house for us, but it can use some updating! :) We look forward to making this house our home. The congregations are really excited about having a young couple in ministry at their church, and we are excited to go. Matt loves to preach and teach and visit with people, and this new appointment gives him the opportunity to do what he loves. My sister said it best when she pointed out that, "Matt will FINALLY be able to do what he was called to do so long ago!"

I am sad to leave friends we have made here in Noblesville. I am VERY sad to move farther away from family. I am nervous about moving from the Indianapolis area to such a small town. I am VERY nervous about making new friends, and finding my place in Veedersburg. I don't know yet what will happen with my job. My boss has mentioned the possibility of me working from home, but we haven't worked out details for sure yet.

We covet your prayers through this transition. We know that the love and prayerful support of our friends and family will carry us far, and that we haven't reached where we are today without them. I hope we will get to see each other soon. Know that you are always welcome in our home, whether it is in Noblesville, Veedersburg or the Moon!

Love you all,
Katie

3 comments:

Karen said...

First of all, I'll take you up on the fish sticks.

Second of all...congrats to Matt for being able to, as your sister said, finally do what he was called to do. I'm sure it's nerve wracking and a bit scary, but think of it as a new adventure!

Seth and I will be praying that all goes well for both of you during this "transitional" time :)

Alida Sharp said...

I pray that all goes well with your transition!! and hey... at least you aren't going to Russia!

Alison said...

I have been having withdrawls! So glad you're back and hoping you'll blog your new journey!