Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, It's HOME to work I go!!!

As you'll see in this post and this post and this post, Matt and I are moving in 12 days to Veedersburg, Indiana. There is a lot of change wrapped up in this move that I have talked about in these previous posts. One thing that we haven't known a lot about though, is my job. Lots of people have asked what will happen to my job, and I haven't been able to give them an answer...

...until today.

I had a meeting with my boss and my office manager today to discuss my job. In my mind I had imagined a near-perfect situation. I currently work four days every week (I have Tuesdays off). I thought that it would be good to work two days in the office, and the rest of the time I could work from home. The days in the office would (ideally) be consecutive days, so I could make just one round-trip from Veedersburg to Indianapolis (70 miles each way), and stay with my parents over night. There is really so much that I can do remotely. In my mind, I could think of no reason why this wouldn't work.

Apparently, they couldn't think of a reason either, because they APPROVED IT! Starting in November, I will be working Mondays and Tuesdays in the office, and the rest of my work will be done from HOME! I'm so excited! I feel like a HUGE burden has been lifted here. I was SO worried about my job. Now I get to keep the job I have, and I won't have to spend more money on gas than I do right now! I can't help but think that, when we have babies someday, this schedule will come in handy. Just think - we'd probably only need child care for two days every week. That's awesome, isn't it?

I am really thanking God today. He's totally got my back here, and now I can look forward to the move with a LOT less stress. Isn't He so good???

5 comments:

Karen said...

Yay! That's a great set-up you've worked out!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!

I'm glad it's all working out for you!

Seth said...

Thats great Katie, so glad to hear this is all working out for you! Also, I know you've talked to Karen about it too, but we definitely are looking into a time to get you guys over here to DC to visit, hopefully soon after she gets back from the wedding on the first week of January. If you have any thoughts of when it will work out well, let us know. Give us a call anytime!

becky s said...

that's so cool! but don't hold your breath about the childcare thing. it's tough to work from home and take care of the kids, too. i'm only working part time and it can be a challenge. however, we always deal with these things when the time comes - you'll figure something out when you have to. :)

CindyDianne said...

I work from the home and it is SUCH a big blessing!