Thursday, March 26, 2009

Going Out and Coming In...

I leave tomorrow afternoon for a 6 day trip to New Orleans with my sister and mom. I am excited to spend some quality girl time with them in such a fun town. I joked earlier with someone that I was going to eat my way through that town like Godzilla...it's probably true! I can't wait to experience all the culinary treats NOLA has to offer me.

Matt is staying behind. He has churches to run you know. He can't go off on frivolous trips like I apparently can! I am going to miss him terribly.

Being away from him (especially when I'm flying) brings up a terrible kind of fear in me. I'm afraid of death - his or mine. I hate the thought of one of us having to mourn the other's passing. I hate the thought of one of us having to learn how to do this life thing on our own. It's horribly sad, and this kind of fear has a tendency to put a damper on my fun trips. I know we are both going to heaven if something happens, but it's still a really hard thing for me to think about.

So - now I'm getting ready to go to bed the night before my super-fun trip, and I'm filled with anxiety. Years ago I went to Florida with my cousins, and Matt stayed behind. My anxiety about that trip was even worse than it is tonight, and Matt and I sat in bed cuddling and reading through some scripture. We found a Psalm that really seemed to speak to us (and calmed me right down...that's probably the most important part!). I'm sharing it here more for my benefit than yours.

Psalm 121
(English Standard Version)

1I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth.

3He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
4Behold, he who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

5The LORD is your keeper;
the LORD is your shade on your right hand.
6 The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.

7The LORD will keep you from all evil;
he will keep your life.
8The LORD will keep
your going out and your coming in
from this time forth and forevermore.


Pray for me while I travel please, and pray for my hubby too. We'll be missing each other!

Blessings to you...
Katie

2 comments:

Alison said...

praying for you....enjoy your time in NOLA! Is it crazy that I'm excited that you're just a bit closer to me by traveling there?:) When can we get you to come here and visit MK and me?

Karen said...

I know what you mean about that sort of anxiety...any time I have to go on a long trip without Seth I get all nervous and start fearing the worst.

But, that sounds like such a fun trip! You'll have a blast, I'm sure :)